This is the latest on the deck. You remember, right? The deck we weren’t going to build because we wanted to save money but now we are going to build because we want to save money?
It is a terribly long story. I will spare you all of the details, however, I will give you a list in chronological (not to be confused with my word: chron-illogical – to be chronically illogical) order:
- Buy house
- Want screened-in porch
- Ask Village of River Forest for screened-in porch
- Village crushes dream
- Redesign ENTIRE house so we can have screened-in porch
- Village says we have to have a water run-off analysis done (extra time and money)
- Redesign the screened-in porch as a deck with pergola
- Regret asking village in the first place
- Should have built what I wanted under a cover of darkness
- Too honest for my own good
- Where were we? Oh yes. Get pricing for deck with pergola
- HA! That will have to wait
- Commence construction of addition on The Ashland House
- We need a landing off the back door of the house
- If we make the landing 4’x4′ we might as well make it 4’x8′
- If we make it 4’x8′ we might as well have it step down onto a deck
- If we have it step down onto a deck we might as well put the pergola in
- What have we done?!
After 10 months of all this back and forth this is very close to what we will be doing:
It’s a relief to have the design completed. We can’t put the siding on the house until we know where the deck and pergola will be located. There is also quite a bit of concrete work to be done. Ideally the basement floor and the footers for the deck would have been poured at the same time. Oh well.
As always, thanks for reading and have a Joyful Day!